The aim of the School of the Future project was to design, demonstrate, evaluate and communicate shining examples of how to achieve the high performance building of the future. School buildings and their primary users - pupils - were the focus of the project. Both the energy and indoor environment performance of four demo buildings in four European countries and climates have been greatly improved due to holistic retrofit of the building envelope, the service systems, the integration of renewables and building management systems.
Project demonstration sites
The Schools of the Future project has delivered:
- Four retrofitted energy efficient school buildings with high indoor environment quality
- Information tool presenting the four demonstration buildings, a benchmarking system and a database with measured data from various school buildings
- Database of the available international knowledge concerning energy efficient school buildings and high indoor comfort.
- Retrofit guidelines for school buildings on the following topics:
- Indoor environmental quality in schools
- Retrofit of building construction elements
- Retrofit of building service systems
- Solution sets for zero emission/energy surplus schools
- Simple energy performance calculation tool for the use in school lectures in the four languages of the School of the Future partners: Danish, German, Italian and Norwegian.
- Insight into the energy level that is achievable by retrofitting schools and other types of buildings
- Increased awareness about energy- efficient building renovation and the important issue of indoor environment to improve pupils’ performance.
The results and the accompanying research and dissemination efforts to support other actors dealing with building retrofits will lead to a multiplied impact on other schools and on the residential sector, since the pupils will act as communicators to their families. User behaviour and awareness of energy efficiency and indoor environment have been improved thanks to targeted training sessions.